2009-04-03

Everglades Wonder Gardens, 1952


I was surprised to find this relic of Roadside Florida still alive! Founded in the 1930s by two colorful brothers on the banks of the Imperial River on US 41 in Bonita Springs, it was one of many Florida theme parks with flamingos, gardens & gators.

A sign out front reads: "We have early 1930s animal housing which enables guests to get up close and personal to each exhibit." Another way of saying these old enclosures are crazy dangerous. Looking at the tiny tiled wall in the gator pit above, well... we get the point. As a kid at these attractions, all I could ever think about was what would happen if I fell in. Pretty much kept me on the path, if you know what I mean.

ElectroSpark @ Twitter | Flicker

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment if you enjoy the content.